5.15.2012

Adventures In Dry Cleaning

Most people who know me personally know that I am a bit of an airhead.  I am the queen/leading expert on doing dumb things and asking stupid questions.  This personality flaw seems to be a great source of entertainment to my husband, family, and friends; so rather than fighting it, I have just accepted it (also, fighting it doesn’t really seem to do me any good).  But every so often, one of them will “pull a Megan”, and I rather enjoy it when they do.

While doing laundry on Sunday night, I had an enlightening and amusing conversation with Nathan.  He is a very helpful husband, and often offers to throw in a load of laundry or run some clothes through the dryer for me.  More recently, he has even volunteered to run cycles of my dry clean only clothes that I clean at home with Dryel.

So I am throwing a load of laundry into the washing machine on Sunday, and Nathan is standing next to me because we were having a conversation about something.  I had a couple hand-wash tops, so I grabbed my mesh Tide hand-wash delicates bag from next to the washing machine and tossed the tops into it, zipped it up, and threw it in the washing machine.

Nathan gave me a funny look.  “You are putting that bag in the washing machine?  Then what’s that other bag for?”  He pointed at a second smaller bag next the washing machine, which is another mesh Tide bag made specifically for bras.

I replied, “Yes, this goes in the washing machine.  This one is for clothes that are hand-wash only.  The other one goes in the washing machine too, but it is only for bras.”  I wasn’t surprised that he was confused, because I always run the hand-wash clothes myself.

Nathan still looked confused.  “Then what do the Dryel clothes go into?”

“They go in the big bag above the dryer . . .” (cue light bulb going off in my head).  “Wait, have you been dry cleaning my clothes in THIS bag?” 

The answer, as it turns out, was yes. 

I can’t be too upset about it, because my clothes don’t seem to have gotten damaged in any way (although I am not sure how clean they actually may have gotten).  Frankly, I am more impressed that he managed to fit three pairs of pants, a blouse, and sweater into a little mesh bag that was designed to hold 1-2 tops maximum.  And he was only trying to help me.  Believe me, I am grateful that I am lucky enough to have a husband who actually offers to help with the laundry.

But it still made for a good laugh.

After we finished laughing about it, Nathan got an apprehensive look on his face.  “You’re going to blog about this, aren’t you?”

Yes.  Yes, I am.

No comments: