11.28.2012

Playoffs? Yes, Playoffs!

I realized it has been a rather long time – too long – since I’ve given an update on the TBFC.  I know you are all dying to know how the best team led by the Golden Boy on this side of the Rockies is doing.  No?  Well settle in, because I’m going to tell you anyway!

The biggest news is that the TBFC has rebounded from a mid-season slump to win four of their last five matchups, finish 7-5, and make the playoffs!  Ironically, although we did not even win our division and are the fourth seed in the playoffs, we DID take home the prize for most points scored in the season!  My husband will tell you that this does not trump his accomplishment of division champion and best record in the league.  He might be right.  But I will bask in the glory of my non-existent trophy nonetheless.

Here are some more fun facts about the team that will go down in history (whether as champions or infamous losers is yet to be determined):

*Of the 16 players drafted at the beginning of the season, only half survived to week 12.

*The TBFC is a bit Jekyll and Hyde.  When we lost, we lost BIG.  Our five loss margins: 22, 52, 26, 23, and 53 points.  Can you say ouch?

*On the plus side, when we won, we won big.  Our smallest margin of victory was 16 points.  5 of 7 victories were by a 20+ point margin.

*All accomplishments are in spite of what might be the worst running back carousel in history.  There is no other way to describe my running backs other than “horrifyingly bad” and “really not talented”.  If you want to curse a running back, ask me to pick them up.  I currently have 8 running backs on my team.  That is half the roster!  And I would trade them all in an instant for Arian Foster.  Can you sense my desperation?

*Conversely, there is no better way to spark a player’s talent than to place them on my bench!  Notable bench performances:  Jamaal Charles (36 points, Week 3 and 16 points, Week 10), Andre Brown (24 points, Week 3), Jordy Nelson (31 points, Week 7), and Pierre Garcon (17 points, Week 12).  I’m pretty sure my bench outscored my starters in Week 3.  Clearly, I never learn.

*I may live to regret the Reggie Wayne for Jordy Nelson trade.  Who knew Andrew Luck would be so good?  Oh, that’s right.  Only everyone in the world.  Except me.

*Despite all of this, the TBFC managed to lock a playoff spot one week early AND eliminate my boss from the playoffs, all in one weekend.  I have been told it’s not good to beat your boss.  I say it’s bragging rights.

The bright spots of my season have been my wide receivers (Julio Jones & Demaryius Thomas), Jimmy Graham and Super Brady himself.  Outside of byes and a couple weeks off due to injury, I haven’t had to think twice about them.  They are full time starters.  And though he may not be Reggie Wayne, Jordy Nelson is definitely better than any of my ten million running backs in the flex spot.

On a side note, I do find it odd that my underachieving team, led by my questionable management skills, managed to lock a playoff spot early.  Whereas the team in a second league (lovingly named Rex Ryan Rerun), co-managed by my dad, husband, and myself, is fighting for their life in the playoffs.  My husband will tell you that the fictitious Rex Ryan’s struggles are due my above mentioned questionable management skills.  I will tell you that our struggles are the fault of Eli Manning.  He isn’t even on our team, yet still he manages to kill it.  (I can’t speak to the real Rex Ryan’s struggles.  I do hear that karma is a bitch, though.)  If we can make it to the playoffs, you may hear more about good old Rex.  If not . . . well you may hear something as well.

So anyway.  Back to Tom.  This week, the Golden Boy and reject running backs of the TBFC face a new team in Round 1 of the playoffs.  We haven’t lost to this team before, most likely only because we never played in the regular season.  Sadly, there is no chance of meeting up with my hubby in the championship round as we are in the same bracket.  So let’s hope I win this week, so that I have the opportunity to knock him out in the semifinal round next week!

"The Mighty Brady" Tom #Brady meets Thor of the Avengers. #Patriots #VeryCool

via the New England Patriots on Pinterest

No comments: