3.18.2012

Do You Like Free Things? I Do!

If you have a Kindle, you are going to love the website I am going to tell you about.  I have been meaning to share this for a while, since I know many of my friends and family have e-readers. 

The website is called Pixel of Ink.  They do 4-5 posts a day highlighting the Kindle Deal of the Day, bargain Kindle books, and free Kindle books currently available on Amazon.  They summarize the plot of the book and link you back to the Amazon page to download (for free or drastically reduced prices)!  It is so much easier than searching through Amazon’s gigantic website to find free books.  And if you don’t like the book – well hey, it was free!

I have noticed that most of the free or bargain books are trashy romance or mystery/crime/suspense novels (neither of which really interest me).  Also, I’ve noticed a lot of the free books are part of a series (I am assuming they give you one free to get you hooked, so you buy the rest).  But they also have nonfiction, self-help, how-to, and my very favorite – good old chick lit!  The only other downside to the free books is that sometimes I notice some spelling/grammar errors or general format issues.  But most of the time they are easy enough to skip over. 

I got a Kindle for Christmas, and thanks to Pixel of Ink I have not paid for a single book yet.  Since tripping across their website in January, I have downloaded over 30 free books from Amazon that I learned about from them.  I haven’t had a chance to read most of them yet (so far I think I have gotten through 6), but I love that I have my own little library on my Kindle for whatever strikes my fancy when I want to read.  Checking out the daily deals on Pixel of Ink has become part of my daily internet routine, right after checking my e-mail and Facebook.  The free books from Pixel of Ink are great time fillers while I am in between books on the library’s waiting list. 

Check out Pixel of Ink!  If you have a Kindle and like to read, I think you will love it just as much as I do.

Here is a taste what I have been reading lately:

  • The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins – I have this in hardcover.  I love my Kindle, but I think the classics need to be owned in book form.  I first read this in October, so I am currently re-reading to prepare for seeing the movie next weekend!!!!  If you haven’t read these books yet, READ THEM NOW, before you see the movie.  Seriously, they are that good.
  • Is Everyone Hanging Out Without Me? (And Other Concerns) by Mindy Kaling – I checked this e-book out form the library.  This is a memoir written by a screenwriter, who you may also know as Kelly Kapoor from The Office.  Her book is insightful and humorous (in an appropriate way).  The only thing I didn’t like was that it had footnotes – I normally love these in books, but they were a bit of a pain to read on a Kindle.
  • Chelsea Chelsea Bang Bang by Chelsea Handler – Also checked out from the library e-book program.  This memoir was hilarious (but in a a highly inappropriate way).  If you are easily offended, you probably won’t think Chelsea is funny.  I, on the other hand, laughed my ass off.
  • Chasing Rainbows by Kathleen Long – this was one of my free Pixel of Ink books and I really liked it.  It was about a recently divorced woman who had just lost her father, and how she put her life back together again.
  • Next up – The Lightning Thief (Percy Jackson & The Olympians Book 1) by Rick Riordan.  I waited on the library waiting list for three and a half months to check this out, only to have my mother tell me she has all of these books at home and I could have borrowed them at any time.  Well, that’s just fantastic.

No comments: