1.10.2012

The Big Metal Machine

My treadmill is broken.

Not beyond the point of repair, but enough that I can’t use it for a couple weeks until the parts come in and the service man can come back to fix them.  Bad bearing and something called a run belt.  If I am reading his handwriting correctly, it says, “run belt is starting to fuzz”.  I don’t know what that means.  The word “fuzz” makes me think of mold for some reason.  Whatever it is, it does not sound good.  His recommendation was that I do not use the treadmill until the belt is replaced, so my treadmill is sitting silent and off, all by itself in the corner of the room.  It sort of reminds me of the movie Wall-E, where all the old machines and stuff just sat silent and unused, except without all the trash surrounding it.

This would not be such a problem, except that my second New Year’s resolution was to get my lazy self back in shape.  I took an extended (read: 3 month) break from regular exercise due to the hectic-ness leading up to the wedding.  Then Christmas came, and then I found all sorts thing to do instead of exercise, such as:

  • Spend an alarming number of hours on Pinterest doing absolutely nothing.
  • Watching seasons 1 & 2 of Modern Family
  • Must. Read. Hunger. Games.  One night for each book.
  • Become obsessed with a free game on my Kindle called Every Word and stay up until all hours of the night playing it.
  • Sit around eating leftover pie, wedding candy, and anything else I could get my hands on.
  • Stalk the aisles of Costco looking for pomegranates and eggnog (to be fair, at least the eggnog was not for me).

You get the picture. . . I am one lazy lady.

So it figures that when I finally got up the motivation (thanks to new episodes of all my ABC Family shows – more TV and laziness) to get off my butt and onto the treadmill, it starts making weird noises and here we are.

My initial reaction was, “Yay! 2 more weeks of doing nothing!”, but that seems to be the complete opposite of my New Year’s resolution, so I am trying to figure out what to do for the next 2-3 weeks.  There are certainly plenty of people in the world who exercise without the assistance of a treadmill.   Running outside is not a great option, between the weather and my lack of daylight hours.  I do have a couple P90X DVD’s, but every time I do the yoga I get an urge to find that super-flexible girl and kick her because honestly?  No normal person can bend like that.  My dad has suggested Crossfit.  I once tried their daily challenge exercise at home . . . it probably won’t surprise you that I was highly unsuccessful.

Then the light bulb (however dimly lit) clicked on in my head – strength training!  I always complain about my serious lack of muscle.  And I have my two secret weapons – 5 lb. dumbbell #1 and #2!  I have found some fantabulous workouts online.  My thoughts are, if I do these for two weeks, maybe 3 miles won’t feel like torture next time I do get to run.  Because I really would like to make it through an entire episode of my shows at some point!

imageUpper Body Strength for Runners               via Runners World                           

                                       

        

 

 

image                                                     Workouts for Pear-Shaped Bodies via Women’s Health Magazine

(On a side note – this is not to knock on pear-shaped bodies.  It’s just an unfortunate hereditary trait of mine that I have grudgingly accepted, and now I would simply like to maximize it to its full potential).

 

Happy workouts! Hopefully you all are not lacking motivation as much as I am when it comes to your fitness ambitions.  Stay tuned!

No comments: