2.10.2012

We’re Still Here!

No, I did not fall into a Patriot jersey lined pit of despair after Sunday’s game.  I am not happy about the loss, but at least it wasn’t a total shock like the Super Bowl after the 2007 season.  What with the Gronkle and the pitiful excuse of a defense, its actually quite the feat that they made it there in the first place, and if they draft well they will be back and better than ever in 2012.  The important thing is, we still managed to have fun and throw the BSBPE. (“!” not included due to lack of actual win by said Patriots team).
In other news, my quest to become a good wife and learn to actually cook something besides spaghetti and enchiladas led me to try not one but TWO new recipes last weekend.  (Also, because I bought a pack of 12 giant chicken breasts at Costco and had to use them on something).  I made the crockpot chicken taco meat that I told you about in my Super Bowl Party Prep post, which turned out fantastic.  I even modified the recipe successfully to make it work with the gigantic chicken (seriously, are the Costco chickens on steroids?) and didn’t screw it up.  I made a million times too much and we have been eating burritos for breakfast, lunch, and dinner, but that’s ok.

I also tried this recipe for a dish called Chicken Supreme from Gabrielle at her blog chock full of yummy recipes! I took a few liberties with her recipe as well.  I hate mushrooms, so I eliminated the creamy chicken & mushroom soup and just stuck with two cans of cream of chicken; and I used half a pack of Stove Top Chicken Stuffing mix because that is what I had at home already.  This turned out extremely yummy, even though it was a tad soupy (I made only two chicken breasts since it was just two of us, and I think I should have probably cut down to one can of soup). But look how pretty!:

DSC_0384

I am especially proud of myself because Nathan loved (or at least claimed to really like) both of these dishes.  When we first started dating 7 (!) years ago, he mentioned how much he loved berry cobbler.  Trying to impress him, I got a cobbler recipe from the Betty Crocker website and spent all evening making him a berry cobbler.  It smelled good, and looked okay.  But it was the most god-awful disgusting thing you have ever tasted!  Poor Nathan tried to be nice at first, to find something positive to say about it, but the fact that it smelled good was its only redeeming quality.  And then I said, “Oh my gosh, this is disgusting!”, and he had to agree and resort to comforting me on the epic fail.  To this day, I do not know what went wrong, but something did, and ever since I have dreamed of the day where I can cook well enough to make up for that stupid cobbler!  So two new meals that both look, smell, and TASTE great in one weekend is pretty good progress for this girl.

No comments: